Attention. This is not for the weak minded....there is some arm ripping and a little girl eating the body of a woman. Can only be read by older teens. Not for your little brother.
To visit No Man's Land and other manga, visit http://www.gomanga.com
© 2004-2006 Seven Seas Entertainment, LLC
gomanga and gomanga.com are trademarks of Seven Seas Entertainment, LLC
Background Info from the Manga itself:
John Parker had it all. A decorated sharpshooter in the Civil War, he had a promising career ahead of him, a beautiful wife, and a newborn son. But after becoming embroiled in a dark and demonic conspiracy engineered by the Bakerton Detective Agency, he lost everything.
Fleeing to the West, a broken man, Parker reinvents himself as "No Man," a heartless gun-for-hire whose only solace comes from hunting and killing the demons who he helped set loose. With Buntline Special in hand, a deadly revolver with a sixteen inch barrel, he blasts his way through a different kind of Old West, where strange and evil beings lurk.
I brought No Man's Land a few days ago while searching for the perfect manga from Books A Million. Everything else was too childish or too...not my cup of tea. Then I found it; NO MAN'S LAND. The cover alone got me hooked.
Why was it perfect? Well it is not too animeish. It is very realist while still retaining the traditional anime values. What do I mean?
Well the characters are drawn very realistically. It is not one of those manga where the older girls look like they are 8 while the guys have those perfect looking faces yet feminine bodies. In this manga, if you're old, then you're old. If you look ugly with a old man's face and a hunched back, then guess what, you will be an ugly old man with a hunched back.
The characters are not idealized so it is almost reality, but in a fantasty world. Trust me. There is not many manga like that out there.
But the main character is a bit attractive and mysterious with a caliber pistol in his hand and a cape draped over his amazing skinny body. But then again, HE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER.
1. This isn't the imported Japanese manga you are used to seeing but AMERICAN manga drawn by American cartoonists from Japanese inspirations. Sad to say the Americans are realists in their own minds. But I believe Japan is still the birthplace of manga.
2. The manga's setting is in the Wild Wild West and takes place a little bit after the Civil War so pay attention to the details of the bars, the cowboys and their clothing, and ultra cool wild west action scene. Also it is the Wild Wild West meet the horror world of monsters and demons.
1. This is American manga.
2. This is only the first volume, which doesn't show a whole lot of behind the scene of the main character's background. In order to know more about him, the ending said to get the second volume. Bummer.
3. Wish it was longer. 192 pages is good, but not good enough for me.
4. Don't know if your bookstores have them in stock but maybe easier to order it online. When I found mine, there was only one copy!
Reviewed my me, James Tong, the greatness.